Re: Inline Images??? [ was: Re: Graphic Images ]

Subject: Re: Inline Images??? [ was: Re: Graphic Images ]
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 16:35:12 CDT

On dimanche, avril 22, 2001, at 01:56 , Larry Kollar wrote:

>>> It just struck me... WHY do we even include the images *inside* de
>>> document?
>>> Why are they not external objects?
>>
>> Because it is easier to carry. Only pre-press system make use of
>> external files like this, but they are used by experienced people
>> that know their job, and they use 40 to 80 MB hi-res pictures
>> aimed at offset printing and stuff like that. ...
>
> Not so. Tech writers often have to use the same illustration
> in several different places (and often different manuals). To
> insert a copy of that same picture each time is simply wasteful.
> And what happens when the artist edits the picture? With embedded
> images, you'd have to track down each & every instance and re-
> import. Having been there, I can tell you it's no fun at all.

I think we can find an elegant solution to this.
1/ when importing, check that we don't already have done so
2/ if yes, just take the same image and reference it
3/ if no, import as we already do.

>>> It seems odd to me that they are inside the document.
>>
>> It does not seems. It is easier.
>
> For one-shot documents, sure. For documents that need to be
> maintained, it's *not* easier.
>

> Some tools (like FrameMaker) give you the choice of embedding
> graphics or simply referencing them -- IMO, that would be the
> best way to go.

A agree. Having been a PageMaker user, I must say that the "link" option
for image import is useful as it save lot of MB. We can do this in
Abiword easiless, IF we support linking to external document. However
that means that we also need to store at least a preview of the image
inside the document.

> I expect that (at least at first) that most AbiWord documents
> will be one-shots like memos, resumes, and short papers so
> embedding won't be a big loss. But with any luck, adding "by
> reference" will be possible later.

I think there a more urgent features to do than those exposed here, but
I'm pretty they'll come one day :-)

Hub