Re: Inline Images??? [ was: Re: Graphic Images ]

Subject: Re: Inline Images??? [ was: Re: Graphic Images ]
From: Larry Kollar (kollar@alltel.net)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 18:56:03 CDT

Hubert Figuiere wrote:

>> It just struck me... WHY do we even include the images *inside* de document?
>> Why are they not external objects?
>
>Because it is easier to carry. Only pre-press system make use of
>external files like this, but they are used by experienced people
>that know their job, and they use 40 to 80 MB hi-res pictures
>aimed at offset printing and stuff like that. ...

Not so. Tech writers often have to use the same illustration
in several different places (and often different manuals). To
insert a copy of that same picture each time is simply wasteful.
And what happens when the artist edits the picture? With embedded
images, you'd have to track down each & every instance and re-
import. Having been there, I can tell you it's no fun at all.

>> It seems odd to me that they are inside the document.
>
>It does not seems. It is easier.

For one-shot documents, sure. For documents that need to be
maintained, it's *not* easier.

Some tools (like FrameMaker) give you the choice of embedding
graphics or simply referencing them -- IMO, that would be the
best way to go.

I expect that (at least at first) that most AbiWord documents
will be one-shots like memos, resumes, and short papers so
embedding won't be a big loss. But with any luck, adding "by
reference" will be possible later.

        Larry