Re: Inline Images??? [ was: Re: Graphic Images ]

Subject: Re: Inline Images??? [ was: Re: Graphic Images ]
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 09:25:35 CDT

According to rms@greymalkin.yi.org <rms@greymalkin.yi.org>:

> It just struck me... WHY do we even include the images *inside* de document?
> Why are they not external objects?

Because it is easier to carry. Only pre-press system make use of
external files like this, but they are used by experienced people
that know their job, and they use 40 to 80 MB hi-res pictures
aimed at offset printing and stuff like that. BTW, for this purpose
DTP software like Quark XPress and Adobe Pagemaker do have a way
to prepare a document for shipping to the service bureau. That
actually keep track of pictures and fonts as well to make a CD-ROM
or another media to be shipped. This is not a free process.

> It seems odd to me that they are inside the document.

It does not seems. It is easier.

> Word does put them *inside* the file, but that is not a wise decision (although at first it may seem).

Word as other problem like not being really smart with file
size and likes keeping BMP as BMP, even not compress. I think
it is wrong, but we can't fix this.

Hub