Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 17:02:03 CDT

At 11:41 PM 4/23/2001 +0200, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>OK. So we can use IM as a backend for SVG to metafile ? That seems to
>sound good. I don't know how fast it performs, but at least it helpd to
>get the feature done.

         Currently, you can't - but all the infrastructure is in place
inside of IM to provide that in the future...

>>>The advantage of SVG
>>>it that it is a vector format. We need to be able to use SVG natively.
>>
>> But do we need to RASTERIZE it natively?
>
>Only for screen display.

         But does AW need to have all the features for parsing and
rasterizing it ITSELF - or is there a reason it can't simply ask IM to
rasterize it for it? It would seem to be "reinventing the wheel" to make
AW also have a full SVG parser and rasterize when we could just pass the
SVG (stored/handled by AW) to IM to get a bitmap for display.

>Let alone the lack of feature of the graphic backend, since it is quite an
>exception (that we should handle, for sure). Other that, if I understand
>well, we can ask IM to do:
>SVG -> GDI
>SVG -> QuickDraw
>SVG -> Postscript

         Not currently, no :(.

         However, what we COULD do is ask IM to convert SVG to MVG which is
a simple list of operations that could then be easily "thrown against" the
current graphics & printing systems. HOWEVER, by doing this you WILL lose
quality and completeness in the SVG output since none of the native graphic
subsystems completely support all of the "core" SVG features.

Leonard