Re: Porting to another OS?

Subject: Re: Porting to another OS?
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 07:20:33 CDT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> On lundi, avril 23, 2001, at 10:28 , Thomas Fletcher wrote:
>
> > I've done the port a couple of times and it can actually
> > be "whipped" up in an evening or two to the point where
> > something is on-screen and visible.
>
> Am I that bad at coding ?
> It actually took me longer to get something to display on the Mac. And I
> still haven't anything consistent.
>
> :-/

It took me about a week to get all of the major infastructure
for each of the BeOS and the QNX ports. By major infastructure
I mean:

1- Graphics class flushed out such that it draws
2- Layout of all of the widgets done properly so resize works
3- Menu class so that menu actions can be triggered
4- Toolbar class so that toolbars are visible and work
5- Mouse and Keyboard class so that input was possible

By far most of the rest of the time was spent working on
putting dialogs together since each one was different and
we had no standard class of widgets that was XP so each
one had to be (and still has to be) crafted by hand.

Doing dialogs _sucks_!

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf