Re: keyboard input of arbitrary characters

Subject: Re: keyboard input of arbitrary characters
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 08:15:12 CDT

Randy Kramer wrote:
> In previous versions, Word allowed/supported the <alt> numeric keypad
> entry of any ASCII character, but that feature does not exist in Word
> 97, and I'm not sure whether it was in Word 95.

It was/is in Word95 (aka 7.0), just tested. Apparently M$ did the same
implementation mistake in W97 that we have done in AW. :-)

> reserve a "namespace" (like <alt><ctrl>) for a user's custom shortcut
> keys.

Please keep in mind that the AltGr (to the right of the space bar) present
on at least Swedish keyboards is reported as the combination of Alt and
Ctrl, why that would severly mess up keyboard mappings (been through this
with BeOS, don't wanna go there again).

/Mike