Re: Call for writers - help us with the user documentation

Subject: Re: Call for writers - help us with the user documentation
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 06:57:10 CDT

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:32:12PM +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> I believe this is reasonable. We want tp make a stable release with very
> few bugs before tackling the substantial generalization of the
> layout/picetable/rulers/GUI code required for decent table support.
> The code I've just committed plus a few additions will enable users to
> draw-up table-like objects quite easily I think.

Cool. By all means, hadn't I left my charger in the capital I'd have tried that out this weekend. As it is, I'll have to update the cvs tonight and check it out.

We'll need a faq on it, because people *will*ask* for tablers. If at least there's a reasonable workaround, they might buy it.

> This is a reasonable point of view. However I kind of like getting a
> stable 1.0 release point done before the major surgury required for
> tables.

I understand that. What I mostly don't like at all is giving end users a wrong idea of the state of AbiWord. That will hurt our image more than delaying a 1.0 untill it's ready.

Mandrake (the nick not the distro) doesn't feel Enlightenment to be ready (and it exists, I believe) for a longer time than Abi. There's more software like that.

Hugs, rms