Re: Call for writers - help us with the user documentation

Subject: Re: Call for writers - help us with the user documentation
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 22:32:12 CDT

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 rms@greymalkin.yi.org wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 10:25:26PM +0200, Jesper Skov wrote:
> > As you may know, we'll probably be heading for a 1.0 release within
> > the next 2-4 months. Before that will happen though, we need to get
>
> Since when?

I believe this is reasonable. We want tp make a stable release with very
few bugs before tackling the substantial generalization of the
layout/picetable/rulers/GUI code required for decent table support.

The code I've just committed plus a few additions will enable users to
draw-up table-like objects quite easily I think.

> > We need good writers to help us update the documentation. Worst case
> > scenario, the 1.0 release will be postponed due to developers having
> > to update the documentation. We don't want that to happen - so please
>
> Terribly more important things won't make it into 1.0 because after
> the mythical 0.9 no new features will be added (stupid imho) because
> some (irresponsible perhaps?) minds want a 1.0 at all costs, but will
> be delayed for the sake of a small amount of documentation?
>
> This is not a word processor with a few thousands of features, if you
> get my drift. If you don't, then...
> Users will exhaust what they can do (in terms of features) with
> abiword pretty easily even without docs
> Users will complain of the lack of certain "critical" features that
> a *final* gold version of a word processor should at least have.

This is a reasonable point of view. However I kind of like getting a
stable 1.0 release point done before the major surgury required for
tables.

Cheers

Martin