Re: [Patch] zh-CN, zh-TW and en-CA profile...

Subject: Re: [Patch] zh-CN, zh-TW and en-CA profile...
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 03:43:09 CST

 --- Anthony Fok <anthony@thizlinux.com> wrote: > On
Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:31:58AM +0000, Andrew
> Dunbar wrote:
> > This all sounded great until we defaulted to
> inches
> > in a metric country. Can somebody check what
> other
> > word processors' defaults are for en-CA?
>
> It would be weird to work in metrics for a
> Letter-sized paper
> because it is exactly 8.5" x 11".
> Most people specify things like 1.25" or 1.0"
> margin, not 2.54 cm margin.
>
> BTW, I lived in Canada for some 11 years. Yes, it
> is a metric country,
> but units like inches are still used day-to-day.
> Afterall, Canada
> and the U.S. are neighbours. :-)
>
> I find that in this case, whether to use inches or
> cm is very dependent
> on the type of paper. Just my 2 cents.

I wonder if it's worth having a third unit setting
"smart" or such. This would make metric page sizes
show metric rulers and non-metric page sizes show
inches. It could be the default setting for Canada.

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net

Nokia 5510 looks weird sounds great.
Go to http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/nokia/ discover and win it!
The competition ends 16 th of December 2001.