Re: BUG: handling italicized text

Subject: Re: BUG: handling italicized text
From: Anthony Fok (anthony@thizlinux.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 20:29:29 CST

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 02:23:33PM -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> Umm... am I wrong here, or can you just do a FillRect with a larger
> rectangle? I don't want a slanty/angled background just because my last
> character is italic. The highlight color background should still be a
> rectangle. You just have to figure out how much is in the overhang and
> extend your fillrect by that much. MSWord does this. And you don't break
> anyone's builds...

Good idea!

BTW, related to this is that printing of symbol font appears broken
when AbiWord is started under a Chinese locale. I.e. I can't see
any of the bullets in a bullet list.

I tried typing a plain English text with a bullet list and saved the
printout to a file, with AbiWord started under LANG=C.
Viewed the PS under GV, it looks good.

Now, after saving this file, I restarted AbiWord under LANG=zh_TW.Big5.
Tried printing it again -- the bullets have disappeared.

Comparing the two files, I noticed two things:

 1. In the correct PS file, the bullet is printed as (\xB7).
    In the wrong PS file, the bullet and any other symbols are replaced
    with (\xB0).

 2. I don't know what glyph (\xB0) corresponds to, but one more thing:
    the output of fillRect is also wrong? I.e. the <number> <number> LT
    <number> <number> MT lines...

 3. In the preamble(?), instead of:

%%DocumentNeededResources font NimbusRomNo9L-Regu font NimbusRomNo9L-Regu
    font StandardSymL font StandardSymL

the wrong PS flie shows this:

%%DocumentNeededResources font NimbusRomNo9L-Regu font font NimbusRomNo9L-Regu
    font font StandardSymL font font StandardSymL

Probably no big deal, but I couldn't understand why the double "font font".

If you need more details, I could attach the two files for comparison
side-by-side. (I accidentally deleted them, so I just recalled the above
three points from memory. :-)

Oh, one more point which may have been fixed already:
In PageSetup, the paper list seems to have an "Off by two" error...
It shows "Executive" instead of "Letter" by default, but in fact, even
it shows Executive, AbiWord internally knows it is Letter, etc.
It is probably fixed already, as I noticed some new commits in
the PageSetup .cpp files.

Many Thanks!

Anthony

--