Re: bidi status report

Subject: Re: bidi status report
From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 14:40:55 CST

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 15:10, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

[snip wonderful bidi report]

Thank you very much for your work here and for the excellent status
report.

Right now I'm hesitant to turn on Bidi by default. There have been
unfortunate serious breakages related to Bidi in the recent past, and
quite frankly, I'm afraid that they might happen again in the near
future.

The overwhelming majority of our users do not need Bidi capabilities and
it seems unfair to penalize them in terms of memory consumption,
performance, and potential instability for a feature that they will
neither need nor use.

The Bidi build has only recieved a fraction of the testing that our
Mono-di build has, which makes me a weary of making this change so close
to our 1.0 release. Further, Bidi has not been tested on the BeOs or QNX
platforms, though this is essentially only an argument against enabling
Bidi by default on *only* those platforms.

I'm very willing (and happy) to continue distributing and supporting
Bidi builds of AbiWord alongside our Mono-di builds. I'd rather not make
this the default setting at this time, however. Post 1.0 will be a
different story altogether.

Best regards,
Dom