Re: generating revenues

Subject: Re: generating revenues
From: AB (abiword@capitalb.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 05:32:33 CST

> > I have not worked out how we might distribute funds from the
> > "general $5 donation" pot. Contractural work is cut&dry - the
> > money goes to the developer who did the work. Suggestions are
> > welcomed.
>I have been thinking about this for a while, and I personally would
>be less concerned with who gets it, and more that we make most
>of it. For instance Martin estimated that a fultime working developer
>could implement the tables in three month. So we could save up
>until there would be enough to fund a developer for 3 or 6 months,
>and then make it possible for a person to work fultime on AW for
>that period. Now, not everyone would be able or willing to do that,
>since we have other commitments, jobs, etc. But if a person would
>become available and willing, then we would use the resources in
>the pot to make that possible. There is a danger that some might
>feel left out, thinking how come he is getting paid, and I am doing
>just as good job as he is and am not, but if these were short-term
>projects, say not longer than 6 month, I think this probably would
>not arise.
I think it would be a good idea that there should be a list of projects
like tables, Bidi. word import etc. and the donator should have the
option for which project he wants to donate. Also possible to collect
funds for new projects and when there is enough money for the project
just make an auction between developers or choose a developer randomly
so it's fair. And there should also be some money in one major account
which should be split equally by developers.

>The issue that I was not sure about is, who should the account
>formally belong to, and what to do about bookkeeping, mainly
>concerning taxes. I think we might need some legal advice on this
>and perhaps setup non-profit trust or something.
That would be a good idea that contributions should be tax deductible.