Re: Unix font warning -- CJK-related...

Subject: Re: Unix font warning -- CJK-related...
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 14:35:47 CST

> Actually, besides just testing the contents, I suggested using
> XLoadFont or similar functions to test each entry in the CJK fonts.dir.

Sorry, I missed that.

> I am not sure if there
> is a performance penalty in calling XLoadFont multiple times to check the
> fonts, but that should be safe enough, right? :-)

That sounds good to me; performance is not a big issue (within
limits), since this is only done once on start up; we could do the
same for the non-CJK locales, and that way we would be certain
that we can use our fonts.

> Great! I'll try to find some time to write it, perhaps in between long
> stretches of mozilla/anaconda/kernel/glibc compilations. :-)
By all means.

> Oh, BTW, I have been testing AbiWord under several different locales
> (LANG=C, LANG=zh_TW.Big5, LANG=zh_CN.GB2312, etc.) and briefly glancing
> through the source code. Currently, AbiWord can only display text that is
> within the locale in which AbiWord is started, otherwise it is replaced by
> \xBO. However, since AbiWord already stores all text as Unicode internally,
> what strikes me is that AbiWord is *so-close* to actually be able to display
> _all_ text in the document regardless of the locale it was started in,
> just like OpenOffice and Microsoft Word.

When you run AW under utf-8 locale, it can display anything that is
in your fonts (it assumes 16-bit fonts though, which only works with
ttf), but I am not sure whether if you have the CJK fonts installed
and run AW under utf-8 locale, say zh_TW.utf-8, it would work at
all. I think it would be certainly possible to implement the behaviour
you have in mind, feel free to look into that.

Tomas