Re: Contribute Section

Subject: Re: Contribute Section
From: Piotr Banski (bansp@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 18:56:42 CST

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Jared Davis wrote:

> Contribute section of the website is now available.

And it looks good -- thank you :-)

> Many thanks to Dom for helping out with the translation pages.

If I may suggest one addition: because you concentrate on .po files, there
is a risk that the prospective translator won't even look at the .strings
file, which is one place where the current maintainer's address may be
found. And if they go ahead and prepare their translations while the
current maintainer does the same, it will lead to the feeling of one of
them's time getting wasted, and that in turn may/will lead to bad blood.
And bad blood is, well, bad :-) So why don't we avoid it.

Also, I found the editing of the relevant .strings file a pretty pleasant
experience (with cut&paste and all that), and that only requires one more
step after the .po files are updated. I forget the name of the script, but
it is there, ready to use. So you may want to mention that on the
translations page, too.

Hope that sounds ok to you. Thanks for these pages again. :-)

Best,
Piotr