Re: Funding/Financial support for FreeSoftware

Subject: Re: Funding/Financial support for FreeSoftware
From: Damian Ivereigh (damian@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 19:07:55 CST

On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 10:49, Alan wrote:
> Dean Luick wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 06:19:55PM +1100, Damian Ivereigh wrote:
> >
> >>I am investigating the possibilities for funding Free Software such as
> >>Abiword.
> >>

> >Perhaps I am missing something, but everyone seems to be overlooking
> >tax considerations. Does anyone have any _real_ information on whether
> >just opening an account somewhere and accepting money is legal or not?
> >

> >Dean
> >
> It depends entirely what country you are in, and their respetive tax laws.
> I would have to assume that the amounts of money being sent would not be
> enough to be of concern to most taxmen.
>
> at the moment abiword is a non profit volunteer group so it may be
> considered a donation.
> if you are looking to donate *large* sums and deduct for it against your
> taxes im sure arrangements could be made, just there has never been the
> demand before.

Tax considerations are a very valid point. This is getting more into the
implementation details. However my initial take comes down to whether
the donations are tax deductible. If they are (i.e. FreeSupport is a
registered Non-Profit), then the developers (receivers of the money) may
have to pay taxes on what they receive. If it is not tax deductible
(taxes have already paid on the money), then I hoping they will not need
to deduct tax. But I will need to find a tax adviser on this one.

Quite how this is going to work when receiving and paying money
internationally is an open question.

However as far as I am concerned when enough donations are being made
for this to be a problem, I will be very happy!

Damian

--
Damian Ivereigh
CEPS Team Lead