Re: On the Road to version 1.0

Subject: Re: On the Road to version 1.0
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 13:45:30 CST

At 11:48 AM 12/21/2001 -0500, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>Nonono, no need. Purge the bitmps from the .abw files. Store just source
>data, rerasterize to the output device on the fly.

         Agreed, but Abi isn't set up to do that today - and won't be till
after 1.0.

> > >For Linux I trust Ghostscript's rasterizer more than ImageMagic's (And
> > >Ghostscript rasterizes the rest of the page, so why not?).
> > IM uses GS for PS/EPS/PDF rasterization.
> > Rest of what page?
>
>The rest of the page you're printing. The words, if you have words
>on the page.

         Oh, you mean that when printing to a non-PS printer on Linux, that
GS will rasterize the PS generated by Abi (or other programs). Got it!

> > But in general, keeping things vector (be it EPS, PDF or SVG)
> > until the last minute is definitely the way to go!
>
>And it's the only way to go if you don't know what your output device is
>yet!

         Why wouldn't you know what you output device is??

>** Impelemeting EPS support from scratch would be less work, thou... :)

         I assume you mean simply supporting embedded EPS inside of Abi -
and not actually parsing EPS, right?

LDR