Re: On the Road to version 1.0

Subject: Re: On the Road to version 1.0
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 17:50:00 CST

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 11:48 AM 12/21/2001 -0500, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > > But in general, keeping things vector (be it EPS, PDF or SVG)
> > > until the last minute is definitely the way to go!
> >
> >And it's the only way to go if you don't know what your output device is
> >yet!
>
> Why wouldn't you know what you output device is??

If I send it to a typesetter or outsource print house, for example.

> >** Impelemeting EPS support from scratch would be less work, thou... :)
>
> I assume you mean simply supporting embedded EPS inside of Abi -
> and not actually parsing EPS, right?

Yes, correct. Fully adequate EPS support does not require parsing
EPS.
        1> Load the contents of the EPS file, store it.

        2> Allow the user to position & size a rectangle on
        the document. Traditionally this rectangle contains
        nothing but a label.

        3> At print time, set the scale of the EPS to fit the
        rectangle. Dump the contents of the EPS file directly
        to the output device.

That's why it's called embedded postscript.

Later, Abi could use ImageMagik to parse the EPS for preview purposes ONLY.
On screen preview would be bitmap, vector data would be sent to the
printer.

                -Bryce