Re: On the Road to version 1.0

Subject: Re: On the Road to version 1.0
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 22:47:46 CST

At 06:50 PM 12/21/2001 -0500, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > Why wouldn't you know what you output device is??
>
>If I send it to a typesetter or outsource print house, for example.

         If you mean that you are generating device-independent Postscript
- that's a BAD IDEA! Postscript, regardless of the hype, is heavily tuned
to the output device - be it an imagesetter, laser printer or even
Distiller or Ghostscript.

         That's one area where PDF makes great improvements over PS, but
removing ALL device specifics...

> 3> At print time, set the scale of the EPS to fit the
> rectangle. Dump the contents of the EPS file directly
> to the output device.

         And what do you do suggest doing with an EPS file when printing to
a non-PS device? Send the raster? Send the preview image (if any)??

LDR