Re: On the Road to version 1.0

Subject: Re: On the Road to version 1.0
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 16:18:44 CST

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> > 3> At print time, set the scale of the EPS to fit the
> > rectangle. Dump the contents of the EPS file directly
> > to the output device.
>
> And what do you do suggest doing with an EPS file when printing to
> a non-PS device? Send the raster? Send the preview image (if any)??

For myself, I'd do nothing. I have no use for a rasterized vector image.
The "traditional" implementation of "just pass it to the printer"
is exactly what I need. It's considered acceptable to do no more than this.

But, to be complete, AbiWord could print a rasterized version. After all
that was already the plan (to import EPS as a raster via ImageMagik).

The improvement to that is to keep the original of all vector imports
around as "long as possible".

In the case of EPS, "as long as possible" means until after AbiWord finishes
processing. For other vector formats that means rasterizing only when
the output resolution is known (at print time). An attribute of the EPS
image could force rasterization even when the output device is known to
be postscript.

                        -Bryce