Re: Release schedule (Was: On the Road to version 1.0)

Subject: Re: Release schedule (Was: On the Road to version 1.0)
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 08:24:29 CST

Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> According to Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@multicert.com>:
> > > In this case, slip the date to an undetermined amount of time.
> >
> > Yes please.
> >
> > 1.0 should come out when it's ready. Having known crashing bugs doesn't
> > smell like ready.
>
> 1/ this won't be 1.0
> 2/ this is a long awaited milestone release. Note that we will slip the
> schedule if needed but we NEED to set goals for each release, otherwise it
> is likely to not have any release.
> 3/ some crashers are hardly reproduced. that makes them even harder to fix.

It takes a while for crashing bugs to get found, reported, fixed and verified.

That's the reason for wanting to put the goal for solving crashing bugs
earlier in the release schedule. Ideally -- and ideal won't be achieved totally --
the last few beta's would be free of crashers. The betas will also get a
much larger audience than the current intermim releases, which represents a
good chance to get wide testing before it's too late (1.0).

The tradeoff is less attention to non-crashing bugs & finishing partially done
features.

                -Bryce