Re: Indian Language in AbiWord

Subject: Re: Indian Language in AbiWord
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 07:55:24 CST

> I'm pretty sure we don't need
> pango on Win2000 and above for instance since it's
> font rendering is already good enough.

Except our layout engine is 100% in the xp code, which makes it
impossible to actually use the win32 rendering at the moment. We
could branch the layout engine into platform-specific bits (but that
is not a good way to go, IMO), or will have to rewrite the base
graphics class to provide some generic api for the rendering which
an external renderer could tap into. This, though, would only work
for languages that write in lines, if we want a more flexible layout
engine, there will be much more involved than modifications to the
graphics class, and it would be best to use a rendering engine that
is cross platform.

> probably also possible to use FreeType directly which
> would be an XP solution since we would also be able
> to use the same APIs on OpenType in Windows and I bet
> Mac OSX also has matching APIs.
I too can see major advantages to using FreeType, certainly for the
Unix versions.

> I think it's a good time for somebody to start looking
> into this now so we have somewhere to start from after
> 1.0 is out.
I agree entirely.

Tomas