Re: Opening unknown documents

Subject: Re: Opening unknown documents
From: Scott (mrphido@prodigy.net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 08:06:33 CST

On Sat, 2001-12-29 at 15:22, Patrick Lam wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2001, Scott wrote:
>
> > I am filing this as an enhancement, but I wanted to put this idea out in
> > the open and see if it flies.
> > I am trying to use Abiword to hand edit HTML and it always comes up as a
> > bogus document. So I was wondering: could Abi instead of just declaring
> > an unknown document as a bogus document, offer to open the document, or
> > even better just open the document as text? There are all kinds of
> > manually editable documents including Window's .ini, Enlightenment's
> > .menu, Abi's own .Profile, and many others that don't show up in the
> > list. If the file isn't in the list, then just open it as is.
>
> The problem is most likely that HTML triggers AbiWord's import sniffer, so
> that the import sniffer starts reading the file and then chokes. If you
> want it to open as plain text (which would not be a bug), then the AbiWord
> import sniffer needs to be more selective in the files it chooses to
> accept.
>
> pat

You seem to be correct. Abi will open .menu and .Profile docs, it is
just choking on <HTML>
Maybe this is a bug? (Is it, and should I file it because I believe
there is work being done on an importer for html)
Maybe the "sniffer" needs to keep it's nose out of <HTML> files until it
knows what to do with them.

Scott Bingman

That's what happens when you gulp and chew rather than chew and gulp
You choke!