Re: PATCH request: edit headers

Subject: Re: PATCH request: edit headers
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 08:41:37 CST

Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> According to Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>:
> >
> > Clearly this is the problem. Normal Mode should not be a default and edit
> > headers/toolbar buttons should get you out of Normal mode. I don't know
> > how noraml mode got made default. It wasn't originally.
>
> Absolutely not. This is as confusing as tabbed dialogs with n-row of tabs.
> Click on a tab which is not in the bottom row and you'll see the tabs
> reorganized qand you would be confused. This is exactly what you would end
> up with by switching mode implicitly.
>
> I am all for normal mode because I'm more productive with it.
>
> Hub

Could "normal" mode be a "zoom" mode? Then you'd have only one set
of linearly related modes to understand. You could zoom in and out:
        body (e.g. normal)
        body + headers
        page width
        full page
        two page
        etc...

I agree that automatic mode switching is likely to make the header
situation better, but be more confusing overall.

                -Bryce