Re: PATCH request: edit headers

Subject: Re: PATCH request: edit headers
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 11:47:14 CST

Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> > According to Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>:
> > >
> > > Clearly this is the problem. Normal Mode should not be a default and edit
> > > headers/toolbar buttons should get you out of Normal mode. I don't know
> > > how noraml mode got made default. It wasn't originally.
> >
> > Absolutely not. This is as confusing as tabbed dialogs with n-row of tabs.
> > Click on a tab which is not in the bottom row and you'll see the tabs
> > reorganized qand you would be confused. This is exactly what you would end
> > up with by switching mode implicitly.
> >
> > I am all for normal mode because I'm more productive with it.
> >
> > Hub
>
> Could "normal" mode be a "zoom" mode? Then you'd have only one set
> of linearly related modes to understand. You could zoom in and out:
> body (e.g. normal)
> body + headers
> page width
> full page
> two page
> etc...
>
> ---------------
>
> I agree that automatic mode switching is likely to make the header
> situation better, but be more confusing overall.
>
> -Bryce

Zoom might be fine. Just for input, Word97 does automatically switch to
something that looks like Page Layout view (mode) when you do a View -->
Header and Footer from Normal view. (I say "something that looks like"
for two reasons:
   * It also displays a special header and footer editing toolbar (one
of the icons is Close)
   * If you select Close from the toolbar, you are returned to the
Normal view

Randy Kramer