Re: bool accepted == true ? (was Re: Abi string class)

Subject: Re: bool accepted == true ? (was Re: Abi string class)
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 05:36:04 CST

Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:
>On 01 Feb 2001 10:25:19 +0100, Mike Nordell wrote:
>> [snipped bool vs. UT_Bool]
>
> I was waiting that :)

Waiting for me to take the heat? ;-)

> And bool was used in (almost) all the compilers waaaaay before 1997.

Yeah, *except* M$ that only began to support it (but didn't get it right)
around that year. :-<

> (btw, I think that simple template use should be allowed, too, but
> that's another issue).

I agree on both points. But so far I'd only suggest it would only be
acceptable on a small scale, in _very specific cases_ and only in
implementation specific code (as in not-XP). It would be really nice to
someday be able to use any std::map or std::vector and be sure they worked
as they should. Unfortunately, this isn't possible today. This could be
solved by using STLPort, but that would mean yet another library we depend
upon and I'm not that keen on that idea. But I am in favor of usage of at
least simple template classes and functions where we don't use stuff like
partial template specialization, at least in specific implementations.

/Mike