Re: bool accepted == true ? (was Re: Abi string class)

Subject: Re: bool accepted == true ? (was Re: Abi string class)
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 07:31:29 CST

On 01 Feb 2001 12:36:04 +0100, Mike Nordell wrote:
> Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:
> >On 01 Feb 2001 10:25:19 +0100, Mike Nordell wrote:
> >> [snipped bool vs. UT_Bool]
> >
> > I was waiting that :)
>
> Waiting for me to take the heat? ;-)
>
> > And bool was used in (almost) all the compilers waaaaay before 1997.
>
> Yeah, *except* M$ that only began to support it (but didn't get it
right)
> around that year. :-<
>
> > (btw, I think that simple template use should be allowed, too, but
> > that's another issue).
>
> I agree on both points. But so far I'd only suggest it would only be
> acceptable on a small scale, in _very specific cases_ and only in

yes, of course.
Anyway, a simple way to see (without a-month-long discussion) if bool is
correctly in all platforms is to "accidentally" change an UT_Bool for a
bool in XP land, and wait to see if tinderbox complains :)

> implementation specific code (as in not-XP). It would be really nice
> someday be able to use any std::map or std::vector and be sure they
worked
> as they should. Unfortunately, this isn't possible today. This could
be
> solved by using STLPort, but that would mean yet another library we
depend

nah, of course it will be cool to use map, vector, the algos, etc. but I
think it's better to wait for our "supported" compilers to implement
correctly the STL (btw, are there any "supported" compiler (not an
imaginary one) that right now fails to implement this stuff? the QNX
one?).

It would be cool, too, if we could use namespaces... the UT_ stuff is
not very sexy.

> upon and I'm not that keen on that idea. But I am in favor of usage of
at
> least simple template classes and functions where we don't use stuff
like
> partial template specialization, at least in specific implementations.

A big +1, here too.

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela