Re: Commit: Various Lists UI improvements.

Subject: Re: Commit: Various Lists UI improvements.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 16:04:43 CST

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> At 12:34 AM +1100 2/2/01, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > > 1. Collapsing an outline starts with making text or headings below a
> > > given level invisible. Expanding it makes them visible again.
>
> Abi doesn't (currently) support collapsing, right??

No it doesn't. It would not be hard to make it do so though. I was
thinking of implementing a "cut special" under "edit" menu. Two options in
the dialog would be:

"Remove paragraph breaks in region" (Great for editing imported text
files. I do that a lot.)

"Remove all text from region" (Which would collapse a list structure.)

> >The
> >> ability to copy a heading with it's associated text and subheadings or
> >> without it requires that the document recognize (or be able to
> >> recognize) which text and sub-headings should be associated with a
> >> higher level heading.
> >
> >You don't need to do this to copy an Abi list structure. Just select the
> >region/copy or cut it and paste it elsewhere. You can even paste into an
> >pre-existing list structure with a reasonable chance of getting what you
> >want.
>
> You misunderstand, Martin. In a real outliner (hierarchical
> list editor), one should be able to select JUST the headline and
> choose "Copy" to get the ENTIRE subtree of that heading into the
> clipboard/scrap. Abi, as far as I know, doesn't do that either.

This is trivial to implement. It's an easy special case of the code in
place already. If this is useful where should this go in the UI? I could
hack this in an hour or so if I can extend an already existing UI option.

Cheers

Martin