RE: Questions about web page

Subject: RE: Questions about web page
From: Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 09:44:00 CST

I am not too excited about any sort of wholesale rework of the
AbiSource.com website. Obviously it would be nice for the
content to be kept current, but does the site really need any
sort of major rework?

Your questions about SourceGear's relationship with AbiWord are
good ones. No, we are not "actively promoting and selling
AbiWord". However, your impression that we have "pulled out"
is a bit overstated. And finally, there is a grain of truth
which remains in the idea that we are "still in charge". :-)

We founded this project, and most of the early development work
was done with paid staff of SourceGear. However, we currently
have no staff members working on the project. Therefore, as
far as active, hands-on development goes, we have indeed
pulled out.

However, we continue to provide a level of sponsorship for the
project, including hosting of its network presence. We also
own the related trademarks and domain names.

If you're going to update the website, please make sure you
leave the acknowledgements of SourceGear's involvement, past
and current.

Our goal is to see AbiWord become a commercial venture again,
and the reason we continue to host the project is so that we
may keep things alive until the day we can facilitate its
leadership by another company.

This brings me to the point where I want to explain the extent
to which we remain "in charge". Obviously I don't veto design
or technology decisions anymore. The "real" developers of
AbiWord have every right to shape and influence what AbiWord
is going to become. However, there are two basic things that
would bring my pushback:

1. Please don't do anything which would reflect badly upon
SourceGear. For example, don't start using child porn images
in sample documents. Using frames on the AbiSource website
would be a similar example. :-)

2. Please don't do anything which destroys the potential for
a business to be created around AbiWord someday. I still want
to help facilitate a startup company which is more focused on
AbiWord than SourceGear can be.