Re: Optimization Opportunities 1 [long]

Subject: Re: Optimization Opportunities 1 [long]
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 09:20:11 CST

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 10:09:51AM -0500, Ben Hall wrote:

> Actually, maybe an e-mail would be a good idea. Then it could be added to
> either the docs or the website. Maybe we'd get other people with odd/old
> hardware helping out. Just a thought..

Well, this is the quick intro to gprof.

First, compile Abi with ABI_OPT_PROF=1 (and other options, if you feel
like it). Then, run Abi. After you have done some well defined task
(like starting, and then immediately exiting, or opening one ABW
document, or such), you will have a large file named gmon.out in the
directory you were just in.

Then, run the command

$ gprof path/to/Abiword_binary_d gmon.out

This generates hundreds of pages of output, so you should probably
redirect it to a file.

Then post the file for all to see.

That's it.

        sam th