Re: Optimization Opportunities 1 [long]

Subject: Re: Optimization Opportunities 1 [long]
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 12:58:55 CST

Thomas Fletcher wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Mike Nordell wrote:
> > Thomas Fletcher wrote:
> > > My first suggestion to anyone that is interested in doing any sort
> > > of profiling and performance improvements is to walk through the
> > > entire code from startup -> Screen on page through the debugger.
> >
> > Yes, but this does not necessarily involves doing this manually.
>
> Absolutely ... it is just a technique that I'm suggesting
> to get an immediate feel for where problems might lie. If
> you already know the code then by all means ... dive right
> in.

I think we are both right, but for this "problem" you are "more" right. I
was trying to nail the point, and you were trying to educate people where
the code goes. I (falsely) assumed peolple _did_ know how the startup
sequence did go and was trying to short-circuit your approach. You were
trying to make them see for themeselves.

Please, don't listen to me, listen to Thomas! When you understand what he
intended, then feel free to follow my advise. But until that time, Thomas'
advice is correct.

/Mike