Re: PageSize Backend and some changes to PageSize front end.

Subject: Re: PageSize Backend and some changes to PageSize front end.
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 13:43:18 CST

At 12:28 AM 2/5/01 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
>I thought about making Page size/orientation a per section property but I
>decided not to do it because of the difficulties in propagating all the
>changes needed to the layout structure to the frame.

Ooooh, meaty work like that sounds like a very, very worthwhile POW.

>Basically all the
>layout classes and fv_View has to be destroyed and re-calculated for
>every view on the document and

No. You shouldn't need to destroy the entire view. There are two kinds of
editing operations here:

1. Splitting an existing section into two sections with different
formatting policies. Aren't there edit methods for this already?

2. Changing section-relative properties and reformatting and reflowing that
section accordingly.

If we can't easily do either, then that's a bug in the existing
implementation which should definitely be fixed. The current design
shouldn't be *that* broken.

>the Top and side rulers need to be re-drawn.

Yes. Ruler properties should be page-relative, based on the current
location of the selection or cursor.

>This is equivalent to changing the zoom level and is outside the scope of
>the layout classes. There is even some platform specific code required.

Yep. Not all features can be implemented at a single spot in the code.
However, once someone breaks it down into steps, I suspect that it's not as
bad as you make it seem.

(hint, hint)

Paul