Re: version 1.0

Subject: Re: version 1.0
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 04:57:11 CST

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 10:26:02AM -0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> I have noticed recently in several postings that reference has been
> made to some feature being or not being ready for 'version 1.0'.
> Does anyone actually have any idea when version 1.0 could be
> happening, or is this just an imaginary horizon that has nothing to
> do with time and space?
>
> The reason I am would like to know, is that I would really like to
> see the bidirectional support in by version 1.0.
>
> I have not produced a fresh bidi patch for several weeks, instead
> concentrating on the utf-8 support, prinicipally because BiDi only
> reaches its full potential in Unicode environment, and I am hoping
> that with full utf-8 support the bidi functionality will become more
> attractive and also easier to test and play around with.
>
> I realise that the basic problem with the BiDi patch is that it is so
> large and that reviewing it requires lot of effort; equally maintaining
> it as a patch is not feasible and is time consuming. Is there
> anything at all (except for making a fresh patch based on the
> current tree) that would make its evaluation easier?

Ok, here's the idea.

Our next release (which shouldn't be too far away, barring major
catastrophes) will be version 0.9.0 (just like the new splashscreen
says). 0.9.0 will be a "feature freeze" release, meaning that after
it is release, there will be no new big features. Then, after a few
releases of fleshing out missing functionality, and cleaning things
up, we have a harder freeze, where nothing goes in that doesn't fix a
clear bug. At this point, the tree will probably branch, so that we
can start developing wild cool new features again. Then, we
eventually pick a candidate off that branch, and release it as 1.0.

So, the upshot of this for you is that if 1.0 is going to have BiDi
support, it needs to go in before 0.9. I estimate we will start
preparing 0.9 in a couple weeks (I still want to get the new build
system done).

So, is BiDi going to go in before 0.9? I can't say for sure, but I
think if you post a new patch in the near future, people (including
me) will be willing to look at it. I for one would really like to
have BiDi in 1.0.

One thing that would make my job easier would be if you had some
preformance data for w/ the BiDi patch, and without.

How does that sound?

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/