version 1.0

Subject: version 1.0
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 04:26:02 CST

I have noticed recently in several postings that reference has been
made to some feature being or not being ready for 'version 1.0'.
Does anyone actually have any idea when version 1.0 could be
happening, or is this just an imaginary horizon that has nothing to
do with time and space?

The reason I am would like to know, is that I would really like to
see the bidirectional support in by version 1.0.

I have not produced a fresh bidi patch for several weeks, instead
concentrating on the utf-8 support, prinicipally because BiDi only
reaches its full potential in Unicode environment, and I am hoping
that with full utf-8 support the bidi functionality will become more
attractive and also easier to test and play around with.

I realise that the basic problem with the BiDi patch is that it is so
large and that reviewing it requires lot of effort; equally maintaining
it as a patch is not feasible and is time consuming. Is there
anything at all (except for making a fresh patch based on the
current tree) that would make its evaluation easier?

Tomas