Re: version 1.0

Subject: Re: version 1.0
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 06:36:27 CST

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> I have not produced a fresh bidi patch for several weeks, instead
> concentrating on the utf-8 support, prinicipally because BiDi only
> reaches its full potential in Unicode environment, and I am hoping
> that with full utf-8 support the bidi functionality will become more
> attractive and also easier to test and play around with.
>
> I realise that the basic problem with the BiDi patch is that it is so
> large and that reviewing it requires lot of effort; equally maintaining
> it as a patch is not feasible and is time consuming. Is there
> anything at all (except for making a fresh patch based on the
> current tree) that would make its evaluation easier?

Well we really need a fresh patch. The trouble with the bidi work is that
it really does give a direct perforamnce hit and is a potential source of
segfaults. Plus it is very big which makes it hard to evaluate.

Really the person with the best knowledge of that code is Jesper. I can
give it some QA in terms of use and have a look at where the code
intersects our current layout code. I would feel more comfortable
committing it if Jesper and others also review it.

I REALLY like the idea of a 1.0 with bidi. There are lots of great
Hewbrew hackers and a significant number of people who could use bidi
support.

Cheers

Martin