Re: integrating bidi (was Re: version 1.0)

Subject: Re: integrating bidi (was Re: version 1.0)
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 14:56:11 CST

> 1. How well localized are the bidi changes?

The bidi changes are localized pretty much to /src/text/, some of
the interface (couple of toolbar buttons, about four extra
checkboxes in the Options dialogue), and couple of extra
properties. The bigest changes are to the the run classes and to
fp_Line, where the bidi algorithm itself lives.

> Adding a well-localized set of #ifdef ABI_BIDI changes to help speed up work
> on the feature makes sense. Sprinkling random bidi dust all over the tree
> is less appealing. (Think a dozen or two ifdefs, rather than an order of
> magnitude more.)

As the patch stands at the moment, all the BIDI stuff is handled via
conditional complilation by specifying
ABI_OPT_BIDI_ENABLED=1, (the #define used in the sources is
BIDI_ENABLED); there is though much more of it than two dozen.
The one thing that would make this number immediately smaller
would be if we could agree to change the signature of the
findPointCoords functions to that required by bidi; this is
responsible for the worst and most confusing #ifdef's.

I am not advocating that we immediately make the BiDi the default
mode, but checking it into the tree would (1) make my life much
easier; (2) would make people aware which bits of the code are bidi-
sensitive when they are making changes and designing new
features. (3) would encourage other people to work on it -- it is
really not very well possible for more than one person to be
developing a feature that only exists as a patch; there have been at
least two people who indicated they would like to work on this, but
all I can tell them at the moment is to wait until it makes its way
into the CVS.

Tomas
PS I will make a fresh bidi patch over the weekend.

tomas@frydrych.net / www.frydrych.net
PGP keys: http://www.frydrych.net/contact.html