Re: outlines vs. lists (was Re: Commit: Various Lists UI improvements.)

Subject: Re: outlines vs. lists (was Re: Commit: Various Lists UI improvements.)
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 07:22:14 CST

At 9:31 AM +0100 2/7/01, Mike Nordell wrote:
>I'll borrow two terms from M$ Word(7.0); "Page Layout View" and "Normal
>View".
>
>What AW currently only supports is the "Page Layout View" which is IMO just
>a quick version of print preview.

        Right!

>That said, I've found the ability to fold sections to be useful in "Normal
>View", but in "Page Layout View" i _think_ it could be wrong.

        I agree given the MSWord model. In Word, you can only fold
sections in "Outline View" (another view option) where it turns the
entire document into an outline that you can fold/unfold.

        HOWEVER, there is another model (the two don't have to be
exclusive) for including outlines in a WP document - sectional
outlines. Think of a hierarchical list that you can create today in
Abiword, BUT also enable it to fold heads.

>The short version: I'd first like to see the "Normal View" type implemented.

        That would certain speed things up...

LDR

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65