Copy & paste retains properties but not styles - bug or unimplemented feature?

Subject: Copy & paste retains properties but not styles - bug or unimplemented feature?
From: ROBERT CAMPBELL (RCAMPBEL@suss.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 13:49:56 CST

Before adding this to Bugzilla, I would like to verify that it is a bug
and not an unimplemented feature. I am using AbiWord 0.7.12 on Windows
NT, SP6.

To recreate the behavior I am seeing, follow this procedure:

Create a document using AbiWord's built-in styles (Normal, Heading 1,
etc). Copy and paste several paragraphs that use different styles. It
will appear that the newly created text has retained the style of the
original, but it has not. Place the cursor in one of the new
paragraphs. Instead of showing the style that you expect, the list box
in the toolbar will display whatever style was active at the point and
time of the insertion.

The problem is immediately apparent when the file is inspected in a
plain text editor. The style of the newly created paragraphs is
whatever was active at the point and time of the insertion. The
appearance is the same as the original, because AbiWord duplicates all
of the character and paragraph properties of the original style in long
form.

This behavior, of course, is not what the typical user would expect and
is very easy to miss. It will be even more insidious when style editing
is implemented: the changes that the user expects to cascade will not.
The other consequences are file-size bloat and (I would expect)
performance degradation.

So, bug or not?

Thanks,
Rob Campbell