Re: commit -- libglade support

Subject: Re: commit -- libglade support
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 10:20:44 CST

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 02:53:48PM +0100, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:
> I forget about this one...
>
> if we build binaries with libglade support, it would be nice to add links in
> the download page to libglade rpms, debs, etc... (ximian provides packages
> for a good amount of platforms)

I didn't mention this earlier, because I thought (without actually
checking) that this was just a UnixGnome feature. However, it appears
to intorduce Gnome dependencies into the GTK version of AbiWord.

For example, when I went to update parsons to be able to compile the
gladeified dialogs, I got the following:

  libart-dev libglade0 libglade0-dev libgnome-dev libgnorba-dev
libxml-dev libxml1

This is just trying to install the development version of the
libraries.

Additionally, the glade runtime has a dependency on libxml. Given
this, it seems there wouldn't be a point to still having expat.

Further, this is *not* available on all Unices. What's the current
state of AIX packages for libglade? How about IRIX? We shipped both
of those for 0.7.12.

Unless there are satisfactory answers to these problems (like the
libglade maintainers promising that every release they make builds on
every Unix we have a makefile for) I'm going to invoke another feature
of the Apache voting system we've discussed, and veto this change.

Sorry.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/