RE: commit -- libglade support

Subject: RE: commit -- libglade support
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 11:48:06 CST

Joaquin wrote:
>Dom, how do you will feel if I ask you to remove gnome-print & gal support
>from the gnome port because I can not use it in the uni? I think that the
>smart reply will be: "that's your problem, not mine".

Sounds like your gnome-core libs are out of date. Requiring packages that
are in the stable branch of a released system isn't all that bad, IMHO.
GnomePrint falls under this category.

As for gal, I *personally* wrote some of those widgets. They will work
anywhere gtk+ does, and I will import them into our tree if need be.
Gnumeric and Evolution require GAL, and the point of the gnome port is to
look and behave as much like the other gnome office components as possible.
It's about consistency. GAL works everywhere that Gnome1.2 does, so I don't
see your argument.

I worked with Chema and Lauris for countless hours to get GnomePrint to work
properly and ended up fixing lots of bugs there. I worked hard to make gal
rock. I fought damn hard to make sure that AbiWord is part of Gnome Office,
including long flames with Miguel. On Gnome, we should act like a
GnomeOffice app and show *me* a little respect...

Your firewall is your problem, not mine. On Gnome, we require those packages
that GnomeOffice apps require. *this* is not up for debate. As for getting
these packages, they run anywhere and are shipped by RH, Debian, and Ximian,
just to name a few.

>What if I found an unix that doesn't has GTK+ 1.2? Should we drop the GTK+
>"support"?

You don't get this argument at all. It's about choosing what technologies we
say are required. We require GTK+ 1.2 and I don't think that you will find
anyone to argue against that. Requiring Glade is a different story because
it is a different library, and you're finding someone who currently
disagrees with you. My stance is "no glade until gettext". GLADE f'in rocks
and I love it to death. But until *we're* ready for glade, we should not use
glade.

>P.S.: Even if we decide to drop libglade support (for portability reasons,
>or some other reason) it would be *REALLY COOL* to leave it *AT LEAST UNTIL
>THE LISTS DIALOG IS FINISHED*.

I can be reasonable.

Dom