RE: commit -- libglade support

Subject: RE: commit -- libglade support
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 11:44:36 CST

Dom wrote:

> >what feature? just wondering, what gives you the right to veto
> the change?
> >I would understand that if there are many +1 to kick this
> feature, it has
> >be kicked, but this veto history is stupid.
> >
> >Do I have the right to veto your veto?
>
> Funny, I don't remeber this Apache voting system thing being accepted at

me neither. But Sam said:
<quote>
I'm going to invoke another feature
of the Apache voting system we've discussed, and veto this change.
</quote>

and I was just wanting to know "what feature".
Anyway, apache styles aside, if everybody feels like the glade support
should be dropped, I will erase it from the tree. PLEASE READ MY STUPID
MINI-FAQ. I always have been ready to erase the glade support, but I (maybe
stupidly) supposed that nobody will complain too hard to leave this feature
until the lists dialog is finished.

In short, last time I touched this dialog, it took me some hours to do a
fairly trivial UI change, and we have *lenghtly* discussed the dialog UI.
I'm pretty much sure that even if I do a mockup of the dialog, it would not
be accepted at the first try, and that we will change it.

> all, actually, or even who would say if it had been accepted. Even if you
> limit the voting members to those in CREDITS.TXT, some 120 people
> have not
> responded to this email. If you then further factor in those

120 people has the *right* to vote, but that's not an obligation.

> people who are
> still at least minorly active in the project, there are like 15-20 people
> who haven't voted... it seems unfair to disenfranchise them or to
> speak for
> them - if we are to implement this system.
>
> The implementation of glade and the Apache voting system was premature,

Apache voting system has not yet been "implemented". And it's not code. I
was yet trying to change your mind about the system.

And why the implementation of glade was premature? we are weeks ago from a
release, and the glade patch is *VERY* localized. Really it's reduced to
the Break dialog, and I took it because it was a specially trivial dialog
(and just to show how it works).

> IMvHO. I find it amusing how there was a week-long discussion before we
> changed bool in the tree with much voting and lots of intelligent
> exchanges
> going on, but none before glade. bool didn't break the tree. bool didn't
> require gettext. bool didn't break AIX... I hope I'm getting my (ironic)
> point across.

bool will not help me to build the lists dialog.

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net