RE: commit -- libglade support

Subject: RE: commit -- libglade support
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 12:11:39 CST

Martin wrote:

> [...]
> libgtk-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0 (0x4005e000)
> libgdk-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0 (0x40182000)
> libgmodule-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0 (0x401b6000)
> libglib-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0 (0x401b9000)
>
> X11
> libXi.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6 (0x401dc000)
> libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x401e4000)
> libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x401f2000)
>
> libpng
> libpng.so.2 => /usr/lib/libpng.so.2 (0x40024000)
>
> zlib
> libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x4004f000)
>
> And neither libpng nor libz provide really *core* functionality (not
> that I would like Abi without them, but it would be conceivable). You
> are planning to add two new libraries to this, that would be
> *absolutely neccessary* to using Abi.
>
> > > Further, this is *not* available on all Unices. What's the current
> > > state of AIX packages for libglade? How about IRIX? We shipped both
> > > of those for 0.7.12.
> >
> > as expat when abiword picked it. The truth is that when
> somebody ports a
> > package, hi has to be smart enough to port his dependencies.
> It's has been
> > done before, and I don't see why libglade will be a difference.
> >

> I'm not sure what your first sentence was meant to be, but if it was
> "as expat was when abiword picked it up" then that isn't true.
> Exactly 1 patch was in the old version of expat, and exactly 2 are in
> the new version. Neither had to do with commerical unix (1 from be in
> both, 1 from win32 in the new one).
>
> As to your statement about porting dependencies, that's precisely my
> point. When you want to make something portable, you want to have a
> few dependencies as possible. And you don't want to depend on porting
> things that you can't port. If I had a host of commercial unices
> sitting behind me, I would be happy to work on keeping Glade up to
> date on all of them. But that isn't going to happen.
>
> > > Unless there are satisfactory answers to these problems (like the
> > > libglade maintainers promising that every release they make builds on
> > > every Unix we have a makefile for) I'm going to invoke another feature
> > > of the Apache voting system we've discussed, and veto this change.
> >
> > what feature? just wondering, what gives you the right to veto
> the change?
> > I would understand that if there are many +1 to kick this
> feature, it has to
> > be kicked, but this veto history is stupid.
> >
> > Do I have the right to veto your veto?
> >

> For clarification, the Apache voting system has a veto, where if one
> developer vetoes a change, that veto is final. To quote the apache
> page:
>
> "Changes to the code are proposed on the mailing list and usually
> voted on by active members -- three +1 (yes votes) and no -1 (no
> votes, or vetoes) are needed to commit a code change during a release

ops, my fault. I've never seen that in action, so I was not aware. Sorry
for the flames.

> 1. You are willing to put the work in to back out the changes when
> the list dialog is in a reasonable state.

yes. I prefer to see the libglade issues solved, but if there are not
solved I (or Martin) will degladeify the dialog.

> 2. This isn't going to take too long. Target date for freeze for
> 0.9.0 is in a couple weeks.

if 0.9.0 is released before the lists dialog, of course I myself will leave
the libglade support (really it's just a matter of touch a bit the
makefiles, and to change a function).

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net