Re: the abiword-cvs proposal

Subject: Re: the abiword-cvs proposal
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 15:21:59 CST

At 06:13 PM 2/7/01 -0600, Sam TH wrote:
>1) Writing commit emails is annoying. Not in the sense of having to
>do it, but of having to stop in the middle of working, and copy and
>paste some stuff to my email client. By contrast, I can just hit C-x
>C-q in emacs, and get the changes committed automatically. So this
>would remove that.

What! You don't use emacs as your mailer? Heretic! Even so, if emacs
can't be configured to also automatically send a commit message via the
mailer of your choice, then something is deeply wrong with the world.

:-) :-)

>2) You get to see all the commits. This isn't much of a problem, with
>the possible exception of Thomas.

If you want completeness, use Bonsai. The edited flow we currently have is
really, really nice.

>3) People should write what they write in the email into the CVS log.
>That would remove the possibility of you getting less interesting info
>in your email.

No. Try using cvsblame sometime in NSCP or Mozilla. Having terse CVS
messages is what you really, really want there.

(( Note to IE users -- as cool as that product is, you just can't appreciate
how sweet Bonsai is without installing a browser which supports the utterly
non-standard LAYER tag. The popups and mouseovers are wonderful. ))

>4) [this is the big benifit for me] You get to see what actually
>happens to the code, right in your email. For me, email is nice and
>easy for this. Also, it tends to promote people looking at the code
>other people commit, and then commenting on it. This is something
>that doesn't happen nearly enough on this project.

Nice end, but definitely the wrong means. Forcing developers onto a
high-traffic list full of patch-like content is annoying and burdensome.
Diffs should be pulled, not pushed.

>It's also worth noting that most projects that use this don't have the
>neat web tools we have.

Exactly.

The more I hear, the less I like this. I still firmly believe that having
terse CVS commits is a feature, not a bug. Ditto for the existing edited
commit flow in abiword-dev.

However, if for your convenience, you'd also like to have an optional -cvs
list which floods your inbox with raw Bonsai traffic, I won't object. I
just can't imagine subscribing to it.

Paul