the abiword-cvs proposal

Subject: the abiword-cvs proposal
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 18:05:13 CST

I don't want to waste a -1 until I understand what problem the proposal is
intended to solve.

We currently have two views of the flow of changes to the tree:

1. A complete, terse list of every single change in CVS and Bonsai.
2. An edited flow of more lengthy "commit -- " messages to abiword-dev.

Both are archived and searchable. The main differences I can see are:

  - only the latter gets automatically "pushed" to my inbox
  - that's the stuff a human edited for me to see today

The proposal seems to be to remove flow #2 from the rich context of
abiword-dev, and replace it with an automatic push of flow #1. That seems
like such a clear loss that I must be missing something here. I'm still not
sure who this would benefit.

Off the cuff, my guess is that it really only benefits people who don't want
to see anything about commits at all, but I don't see the point of that.

Paul,
stumped