Re: commit -- libglade support

Subject: Re: commit -- libglade support
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 18:01:02 CST

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 01:44:15PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> >> when
> default
> >>
> >> Does anybody else think that this has "really bad idea" written all over
> >> it? libxml-1 for glade, optionally libxml-2 for AbiWord, optional shared
> >> expat for AbiWord or static expat in AbiWord? On every Unix platform?
> >> Maybe I've been in WindowsLand for too long, but this just sounds like a
> >> disaster waiting to happen to me.
> >
> > I have previously voiced my opinions on why these types
> >of cross dependancies are bad ideas. I won't re-iterate,
> >but know that you are not alone.
>
> Ditto. I like being flexible and enabling choices, but two choices of XML
> libraries and linkage are bad enough. Three is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we use (or enable the use of)
libxml1. If anyone is, they should stop. :-)

It's just that people suggested that libxml[12] weren't compatible
with each other, and that this would make using glade hard with the
libxml2 version of Abi.

And on the point of having two many different libraries, I would just
be using expat, if I were the only person working on this project.
But far be it from me to reject Aaron's patches to keep libxml support
working.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/