Re: socks ? on : off (was RE: integrating bidi (was Re: version 1.0))

Subject: Re: socks ? on : off (was RE: integrating bidi (was Re: version 1.0))
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 18:19:52 CST

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 04:10:52PM -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:

> There's probably no productive point to my going on about this. It
> sounds kind of negative. I just think we have to look at 1.0 as a
> beginning. It's a first cut at "par". A description like "blow their
> socks off" is inconsistent with reality.

Well, these aren't the people that you and Paul are discussing, or
even most of our target audience, but there is one group of people who
will have their socks blown off:
        Linux users.

People who follow Open Source/Free Software have been very skeptical
of the ability of developers to produce a quality desktop product.
And lots of them (some of whom I have met personally) have been
skeptical of abiword's ability to produce a quality product. They are
going to see something very different for 1.0.

Lots of people see AbiWord as a wordprocessor with potential. But
they also see it as one that crashes a lot, eats their data, and
doesn't have enough features. Lots of people are going to see
something different when 1.0 comes out.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/