Re: does expat/libtool combo work on Win32?

Subject: Re: does expat/libtool combo work on Win32?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 21:49:14 CST

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 06:15:47PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> Sam et al,
>
> I've just done my first cvs update since last June, and am having problems
> right out of the box. This is the same environment I've been using for Abi
> development since the beginning -- NT 4.0, VC 5, Cygwin B19.
>
> I thought I'd seen traffic earlier that Win32 command-line builds were
> working for expat, so I must be missing something. I did check the build
> instructions on the site, but they're pretty clearly out of date. So far,
> here's all I can infer from the ultra-cryptic messages:
>
> 1. make realclean doesn't

That's really weird. From my output, it goes to zlib and libpng
before anything else.

> 2. libtool may not exist -- where do I get it?

The libtool shell script is generated by configure. You don't need to
get anything. Try running ./configure in the expat directory, and see
if it creates a file called libtool.

> 3. the filename doesn't get passed to the compiler

That seems to be a problem with the seeming newline in the command
line. Try fixing the libtool problem and see if it goes away.

> 4. why is it building an xmlparse.lo target?

That's what libtool calls the object file. If you don't want to know
how libtool works, don't worry about it. If you do, ask me, or read
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook

> Any suggestions? Sorry for acting like a newbie, but I'm short on time for
> learning the necessary automagic stuff.

Well, the host that Tom is running tinderbox on has Cygwin 1.1.8. You
might try upgrading that. Other than that, I'm not sure.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key: