alt-f4

Subject: alt-f4
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 23:55:10 CST

We use this on Unix when nothing else does. This binding conflicts
with the Enlightenment defaults. In general look/feel it may make
sense to be consistant, but with things like this it is far more
important to be consistant with the surroundings. "When in Rome, do as
the Romans do."

If someone is using a Linux box, it's most likely that they're not
using ONLY AbiWord on it. My thoughts are that it would be easier for
them to remember the standard for the environment they use if they use
one (say, Ctl-Q on gnome *shudder*) that they can use for all
applications rather than remember that AbiWord has a special binding,
"becuase, oh yeah, that's how it works on windows apparently..." Think
about it for a second. What percent of people sit down at a Linux box
and hit Alt-F4? What percentage of people try to hit Control-Q in
AbiWord becuase that's what all their other applications use?

Should the Unix version use widgets that look identical to Windows'?
Should it make sure that window borders and title bars look the same
as on Windows? These would be examples of AbiWord going out of its way
to enforce extreme cross-platform fascism. I think that forcing the
quit shortcut key to be the same in all places even though the same
one doesn't make senes everywhere is on the same level.

I propose that we change the key on Unix to something else. I don't
have my heart set on what it should change to, but I'm sure we can
build a consensus. Any ideas? Control-q? What's unused?

And what about the other platforms? I doubt that it's normal to press
Alt-F4 to close a window on QNX or BeOS, but maybe Thomas can help us
out...