commit: bidi support (all read please)

Subject: commit: bidi support (all read please)
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 01:11:55 CST

** this is a long message, but please stay with me to the end **

OK, the bidi support is now in as a compile time option; you will
find instructions on how to build/use it in the abi/BiDireadme.txt.

Because of the extent of the changes and the changes to the
signature of the findPointCoords functions, you should update your
whole source tree, and I would advise you do a clean build after
that. If you do not build with the BiDi stuff enabled, you should not
notice any differences in the final product.

You cannot miss the BiDi code; there are lot of #ifdef's (I was going
to tell you how many, but on a second thought I won't). You will
also notice that this number could be sometimes reduced if two or
three #ifdef's near each other were collapsed into a longer one,
creating two larger #ifdef/#else blocks. If you are tempted to fix
this, please read first the rational for the existing approach in the
Development section of the BiDi readme file.

I am looking for people who would implement the changes to the
FontChooser, Paragraph and Options dialogues for non-gtk builds
so that we can bring the different platforms into sync. It should not
take to much effort, it amounts to about 6 checkboxes all together
and the XP stuff is already in. (since the gtk options dialogue got a
beautiful facelift in the past 8 hours, this needs to be done too; I did
not have time for it at this very moment, so I just left the code from
the previous verison in, merely #ifdef 0-ing one portion of it so that it
would compile, as a result the BIDI_ENABLED build will SIGSEGV
if you try to open the dialogue, but I did not want to delay getting
the bidi stuff into the CVS any further).

I was further wondering whether it would be possible to setup a
BiDi-enabled build on the Tinderbox (since the BiDi stuff is virtually
all XP, it might be sufficient to do it just for a single platform).

In addition to the BiDi support, I have also fixed the Style combo
box (someone recently changed "Normal" to "normal", but forgot to
change this in the combo boxes).

Tomas

tomas@frydrych.net / www.frydrych.net
PGP keys: http://www.frydrych.net/contact.html