Re: Mime-types

Subject: Re: Mime-types
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 12:36:22 CST

Bill,

I've pressed a whole bunch of your hot buttons and am backpedaling as fast
as I can to cool you off. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

There are folks on this list who seem reluctant to use a mime type *off* the
Internet without also registering it with IETF for use *on* the Internet.
(Even though we've been doing so for almost 2 years now.)

That got us into a debate about what to register. I skimmed RFC 2048 too
fast the other night, and got the mistaken impression that we *had* to have
an IETF-sanctioned RFC before they'd let us register application/abiword. I
want to use application/abiword, and thought that was the price, in which
case it sounded worth paying. That's all.

I'm not some evil marketroid who wants to subvert IETF, really I'm not. I
like the IETF. I'm not trying to drive a standardization effort via
politics. That doesn't work, and would make us look stupid. We're not
stupid. I'm quite happy letting the world decide whether to choose us on
our own merits.

By now, this thread has spiraled so far off-track that I'm sorry I ever got
into it. All I ever wanted is for desktop double-clicks to Just Work the
same way on all our supported platforms.

Paul