Re: About dialog

Subject: Re: About dialog
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 18:13:12 CST

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I wasn't under the impression that we were obligated to present the same
> about dialog across platform. What you're seeing there is the GnomeAbout
> dialog, which is the standard "About Dialog" for Gnome applications. The
> GTK+ dialog still looks the same. I'll be removing people's individual names
> from the About dialog tonight and put in something more general like "Abi
> the Ant" (Sam's idea).
>
> Above all, I want to remain consistent between Gnome Office applications. I
> may be wrong, but I thought the whole idea of our XP design (and say, not
> using GTK+ everywhere, for example) was to be as consistent as possible with
> our surrounding environment. I also understand the urge for consistency
> between different platform builds of AbiWord. However, the About dialog is
> hardly as functional as say the Paragraph dialog. If anyone doesn't agree
> with my methodology or doesn't want me to use the GnomeAbout dialog on
> Gnome, please tell me now.

It was a simple query that is all. It was sitting in my abi-todo list
of messages from the list that generally indicate that there is something
I need to do for the QNX platform. Without more than the screenshot to
go on I wasn'tsure if this meant that I should be updating the QNX
version. If it was for gnome only ... no problem for me.

Personally I always liked haveing the about box be kind of snazzy and
to show off a bit. Someday I'd like to have it roll the CREDITS text
through so that people actually get some gratification =;-)

Thomas